Last night, Ryan told me that he heard that helicopter crashed in Afghanistan and all the soldiers died. He followed that by I hope my dad is OK...I was totally caught off guard. I quickly said not to worry, that he was fine. I told him that if anything did happen someone would have called. What was I suppose to say? I didn't want him to worry and make himself sick.
You see, I had also read about the crash earlier in the day, but I knew that if his dad was involved Ryan's step mom would have contacted me to let Ryan know. So later that night, as we sat outside watching the dogs play, he asked if I would email his dad to make sure he was OK. I told him that I would. So I did and I received a reply this morning saying, "Tell Ryan that I'm OK." I immediately texted Ryan not to worry, that his dad was OK. Hopefully, he will worry a little less today.
I have so much respect for military families. The stress and worry that they go through is something that I have only experienced from the outside looking in. But yesterday, I stood on the inside with Ryan...He worries all the time whether or not his dad is safe; or if he's going to come back the same person as he was when he left or even if he'll just come back. I hope that the rest of his dad's deployment flies by. Oh and from now on the only news allowed in my home is celebrity news. At least whatever self destructive thing Lindsey Lohan is currently doing has absolutely no effect on my son or me. Haha!
2 comments:
That is such a hard position to be in...I grew up as the child of a military man and I remember feeling those same feelings. Sounds funny to say, but back when my dad was over in Desert Storm, we didn't have email or cell phones so I remember my mom being scared to leave the house or she'd miss her one chance at a call. I was 12 and I remember wishing my dad wouldn't die for my birthday...it's a hard way to grow up!
Just said a prayer for safety for Ryan's dad!
Sorry Larissa, I just got the official unclassified report last night, And wasn't able to talk about it before that since the unit and names hadn't been released. Drew did tell me that you had emailed and he let you all know that he was okay. Of course if something was to happen, I would let you know immediately. I hope Ryan didn't worry too bad. If you ever see anything else on the news, feel free to email me, and I will let you know if I know anything about it. Hugs to Ryan, I know it must be so hard for him. Then names were released this morning, and Drew was good friends with one of the pilots. I hope Ryan got the dogtag, and that it helps him feel closer to his Dad.
Post a Comment